Welbeck Children’s are looking for a talented and experienced book designer to join our team in a full time, in-house Senior design role. This is an exciting opportunity for a creative and passionate individual brimming with ideas. A love of children’s books is essential.
This role involves working on a diverse range of mainly non-fiction, highly illustrated titles for children ages 3 and up, designing in-house as well as commissioning and managing freelance designers, illustrators and other contributors. The designer will report to the Design Manager and will also work closely with the Associate Publisher and Group Publisher.
The successful candidate will be a senior or middleweight designer with a minimum of 5 years experience in illustrated children’s books.
· Developing projects from initial ideas to final print ready files
· Researching and responding to current trends and styles within children’s publishing and also the wider world of art and design
· Lending support and guidance to more junior members of the team
· Ensuring books are delivered on time and to budget
· Working with production to check off proofs and printer plotters
· Excellent relationships with illustrators and agents
· Knowledge and understanding of children’s illustrated trade publishing
· Excellent creative flair and imagination
· Ability to scamp up ideas and briefs
· Ability to spot and set trends, with an innovative approach
· Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator with strong typographic skills
· Ability to present ideas and concepts to internal and external teams
· Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to establish working relationships at all levels
· Experience controlling budgets and schedules
· Solid understanding of production processes along with ability to set up and supply correct files for repro and print
· Confidence working at a fast pace whilst always maintaining top quality and attention to detail
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter (stating salary expectations) along with a PDF or link to your portfolio to email@example.com